Saturday, August 30, 2008

to be auctioned off



This project was really great!! Some of us were invited to dress a donated discarded mannequin using all recycled stuff. Each one will be auctioned off at a fund raiser honoring our former mayor, Jan Jones.Jan has been active in various projects supporting teachers in Clark Co. (Las Vegas).

This is Audree. Her costume started out with an old discarded man's dress shirt. The skirt, vest and bag are made from an old drop cloth. I left the paint spots because I thought that it added interest. The hat is from a discarded floral shop plant basket with the edge turned up and then decorated to match the outfit. Her shoes are a pair that I dug out of my charity bag and decorated with some left over quilt binding and some old earrings from my mother's junk jewelry box. The leaves were from a discarded vine, She wears an old broken pearl necklace from the junk jewelry box. The trim on her outfit is from leftover fabric from another project, leftover binding from a quilt, an old celluloid button, a scrap of ribbon and small bits from an upholstery sample. The large flower on her bag is from last year's window display.Audree is almost completely dressed using recycled stuff. She stands about 5 ft. tall. I really enjoyed doing her up. I hope that she brings lots of money for teacher's supplies.

I'm a retired teacher and know how much of their own money teachers spend to supplement lessons and class materials each year.

No comments: